Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tokyo!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976060/
I decided that it was about time to get my fat-ass off the couch and into a movie theater for some exercise. I had high expectations for "TOKYO!" even though it looked "hipster-up-your-ass"

I was stoked on this, but a little skeptical. I liked Gondry's "Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind", but hated "the Science of Sleep". I liked Joon-ho Bong's "The Host" which was a wacky good time, and I've heard that Leos Carax's "Pola X" pushes the level of decency for its graphic incestuous sex scenes. I went into the theater having heard positive reviews and with an open mind. Although all three stories had some cool and creative elements, none of them were really terrific. Here's my review of all three separate shorts, rapid fire

1. Gondry's short "Interior Design" (chair-leggs-bitch) was so fucking pretentious that I felt embarrassed for entering the theater with the other 7 people there. I'm sure the hipsters will love this one the most, claiming that I did not clearly understand the delicate subtleties of existentialism- no I got it. It was weak, and a waste of time. 2/5

2. Leos Carax's "Merde" (green-suit-sewer-man) I found more enjoyable, and had some really creative and original elements to it, as well as some impressively long takes. For sheer story and creativity- 3/5

3. Joon-ho Bong's "Shaking Tokyo" (fish-face-shut-in) was my favorite of the three. The characters seemed genuine, and had a great feel to it. My only complaint is that the ending was sudden and predictable- Just like Steve Irwin's death. 3/5

Overall- 3/5
Skip it/rent


-eddie


No comments:

Post a Comment